Tesco to target customers according to
their wealth by using their Clubcard data to personalise its website
Britain’s
biggest grocer, Tesco has announced it will use personal data from its
costumers to boost its sales. Tesco will use the club cards of their costumers,
which they have been using for years, to provide itself with financial data of
the costumers. When you are a prosperous person, you might get tempted by a
smoked salmon and the top wines. If you are more like a hard-up shopper, you
might get adds with tins of baked
beans and Tesco’s Value promotions. Tesco boss Phil Clarke said that it is
just the same as in the 80’s. ‘Some customers you would know by name,’ he said.
‘Others you’d know well enough to give a friendly smile and ask ‘how are you
today? ‘By doing that, you could earn the
most important thing of all: customers’ loyalty.’ Tesco already tested it, which resulted in a
10 per cent sales growth.
Big brother alert! Seriously, who wants their supermarket to know how much money you can spend? And moreover, I like to mix my groceries a little. I mean, for a good red wine, I don’t mind spending a bit more money. But for a plain pasta, cheese or milk for example, I wouldn’t pay more for no reason, because I can’t taste the difference. Well, this is of course not the main reason why I don’t like the idea. The main reason is that most people don’t want to be stuck to one supermarket. I want the freedom to go anywhere I want. What if you don’t show up for weeks? Do you get special offers? Moreover, how easy is it these days, that even in the supermarket, they are able to ‘know you’, even if you’ve never seen the manager! So, byebye, 80’s argument!
Big brother alert! Seriously, who wants their supermarket to know how much money you can spend? And moreover, I like to mix my groceries a little. I mean, for a good red wine, I don’t mind spending a bit more money. But for a plain pasta, cheese or milk for example, I wouldn’t pay more for no reason, because I can’t taste the difference. Well, this is of course not the main reason why I don’t like the idea. The main reason is that most people don’t want to be stuck to one supermarket. I want the freedom to go anywhere I want. What if you don’t show up for weeks? Do you get special offers? Moreover, how easy is it these days, that even in the supermarket, they are able to ‘know you’, even if you’ve never seen the manager! So, byebye, 80’s argument!
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten