dinsdag 26 juni 2012

Blog Entry 4


Campaign to keep Scotland in the UK launches


The Scottish people have to make up their mind whether they want Scotland in or out the UK. The referendum will be held in autumn 2014. The Labour party is against the independence of Scotland, for they say that ‘they are better together’ Former chancellor Alistair Darling says: “If we decide to leave the United Kingdom, there is no way back. We can't give our children a one-way ticket to a deeply uncertain future." According to a poll of those certain to vote, 55% oppose independence and 35% are in favour. The parties leading the campaign are afraid that the people who get to vote might not be aware of the consequences of their vote. Because the Liberal Democrats, the Labour and some other (former) MP’s are so passionate about the UK, they organized a campaign called ‘Better Together’.

I think, as stated in the full article, that Scotland is fully able to stand on its own two feet. But the cooperation in the UK works so well, that it is one of the most powerful countries in the world. I don’t know the ins and outs how it works in the UK, but if Scotland decides to be independent, I’m sure there will change the one and the other. I’m not sure if that is a good thing. On the other hand, I can imagine that the Scots want to be independent. I think this benefits the national pride and patriotism. I understand though why they set up the campaign, because, as stated in the full article, most people vote based on their feelings, and you don’t know if that is a good thing. They don’t know the consequences of their vote if they vote in favor. Also, the more one encourages you to vote ‘no’, the more you tend to vote in favor. I think it’s a good thing if Scotland stays in the UK, because this alliance has brought them much wealth.

 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten