dinsdag 26 juni 2012

Blog Entry 5


Shock at the BBC as reporters are told to start making money


The future of the BBC as a prominent broadcasting network is under heavy discussion since a controversial e-mail has leaked. The e-mail states that (new) journalists have to think of money-making schemes in order to raise more money for the BBC. This will be taken in account at forthcoming job appraisals. Concerns rise that the BBC’s prized editorial standards will be compromised by commercial influences. The BBC is currently under investigation by Ofcom into how it allowed current documentaries and other programs to be commercially influenced. The BBC suffered a loss of 2000 jobs last five years, due to cuts. In a statement, the BBC denies that this will influence the quality of their broadcasting. It said: The BBC's international news services such as BBC World News and BBC.com already have a long tradition of generating commercial income to reinvest in independent public service journalism, and these objectives simply aimed to reflect that."

First of all, I must admit I love to watch all kind of programs on TV of the BBC. The quality of those programs and documentaries is just fantastic! So, when I read this article, I started to become quite worried. We all know what commercial influences can do with the quality of a product, because the more commercial influence, the more power BBC has handed to the commerce. We all know that the BBC gets its money directly from the government. This, so they can focus on quality. Now they have to raise money by themselves, I wonder if they still can get their priorities right. I seriously don’t want my favorite programs to be full of advertising, pauses with advertising and annoying programs. But let’s be optimistic, and hope that the BBC will elucidate this. I can understand that they need more money, but by depositing that quest at the journalists is just wrong. They need their time and focuses to think of mind-blowing programs, as they always have done! 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten