dinsdag 26 juni 2012

Blog Entry 3


No Minister: tiptoeing through the cybercrime minefield


Cybercrime; already costing the government £27bn right now, but getting worse, according the experts. Most worryingly is that most companies and some government departments claim that they are well-protected. However, the government is very aware of the danger. They say that the danger is right up there with a military crisis. The problem is the right amount of recourses to combat the threat. According to William Beer, the UK needs a broader range of skills to combat the threat. Most people working in cyber security in the UK, seem to be ‘narrow technicians’. He would like to see people like "behavioural psychologists, communication experts and actuaries etc. But, according to Dick Vinegar, ‘UK education and culture, and the civil service ethos, is not designed to throw up broad people like this. This makes the task of the UK to set up a decent national cybersecurity strategy almost impossible.

Wow! I did not know this was such a huge problem, not only in the UK, but also international. It actually surprises me that the people working in this industry, tend to be just ‘narrow technicians’. I’ve always thought that my data was sort of secure and safe on the internet, but it appears not to be. According this article, I think the UK has a big pile of work to do on this. Granting safe internet is, I believe, a task of the government. So, instead of whining around just on the music industry, they should make sure our data is safe. I believe they have a hell of a job ahead.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten