The
old get richer, and the young get poorer
This is stated in a research, done by the Institute for Fiscal Studies
(IFS), released this week. They have found that more than 40 per cent of all
the pensioners are in the top half of the income distribution bracket, compared
with 25 per cent 20 years ago. A separate study (also released this week) shows
that the young (under 30) have lost out compared with the older generation,
since the financial crisis of 2008. With the upcoming cuts and tax rises, a
pensioners’ income will reduce with only 1.8 per cent per year, compared with
4.7 per cent for households with children. Also, pensioners are eligible
for a series of non-means-tested benefits, such as free transport etc. This
research has led the government to question the case. Mr. Cameron explicitly
ruled out any change of policy, for he was elected on a mandate for improving pensions.
Also, Michelle Mitchell, charity director of Age UK, said: "We must
remember that the number of pensioners in poverty remains at 1.8 million."
I see that Britain is struggling with this subject as well. I know that
this is a major subject in Holland. What I find strange, is that they keep
cutting in the budget for young people. I know students don’t get a fair deal
compared with the older people in England. So, reading this article, I found it
quite strange to read that more than 40 per cent of all the pensioners are in
the top half of the income distribution bracket (inkomensverdeling stelsel).
That is quite a lot compared with the younger people, as stated in the full
article. I believe that older people must get a good deal, so they can live
without problems in the last stage of their life, for they have done a lot for
society. But it is unfair to subordinate the younger people, for they are the
bearers of today’s society. The money for the older generation comes mainly
from the younger people. It’s ok to treat the older generation, but make sure
it is balanced out. Don’t rule out the outcomes because of one’s election.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten