Big
Ben's tower renamed Elizabeth Tower in honour of Queen
The well-known Clock Tower, the carrier of the 'Big Ben', is now officially re-named
after Queen Elisabeth. Its re-naming is in recognition of the Queen's 60 year
reign. The idea was originally proposed by Conservative MP Tobias Elwood,
circled around for while, and got backed by 40 MPs. The House of Commons said
that it is "in recognition of Her Majesty's 60 years of unbroken public
service on behalf of her country". The Prime Minister described the move
as a ‘fitting tribute’ to the Queen.
It is not the first time in history a part of the Westminster Palace is named after a monarch. After it was rebuild in 1860, the, at the time called ‘Kings Tower’, was named after Queen Victoria. Queen Elisabeth is the only other monarch to complete 60 years on the throne.
It is not the first time in history a part of the Westminster Palace is named after a monarch. After it was rebuild in 1860, the, at the time called ‘Kings Tower’, was named after Queen Victoria. Queen Elisabeth is the only other monarch to complete 60 years on the throne.
So, that permanent isn’t the name ‘Big Ben’ after all. When I read the
article, I thought that the opposition parties were quite fond of the idea of
re-naming the tower. I mean, the Big Ben is more of a statement of the British
architecture and heritage, therefore, well-known all around the world. Is it
that easy to change the name so easily? However, I think this is a great
gesture towards the Queen. I mean, it doesn’t happen every day that a monarch
rules for 60 years. That is a hell of a period! I have to get used to the name
‘Elisabeth Tower’ though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18592966
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
I think you misinterpreted the article, the Big Ben is just the clock inside the tower, the tower itself was just called "Clock Tower", untill they renamed it.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenAnyway, I'll stick with Big Ben, I prefer that name.
Yes, I've noticed. I know the clock tower is the bearer of the big ben, but I guess I mixed it up. I'll change it a bit.
Verwijderen